Watts Gallery – Artists’ Village
The beautiful Watts Gallery – Artists’ Village in Surrey is the perfect setting for the De Morgan Collection. William and Evelyn De Morgan were regular visitors to the Watts Gallery, when it was the countryside studio-home of their friends, Victorian artist, G. F. Watts and his esteemed potter wife, Mary Watts, where the foursome would talk for hours about art and politics. The current exhibition of De Morgan ceramics and paintings, ‘Decoration or Devotion?’, asks visitors to consider the symbols and symbolism used by Evelyn De Morgan in her ambitious oil paintings, and by William De Morgan in his lustrous ceramics. Highlights include Boreas and Oreithyia (1896) by Evelyn De Morgan, and William De Morgan’s Moonlight Suite lustre-glazed bowls.
The Foundation’s Office is on site in the old Curator’s House and the collection is displayed in the main gallery.
Open: 10:30am – 5pm daily
Open on Bank Holidays, including New Year’s Eve and New Year’s Day, but closed Christmas Eve, Christmas Day and Boxing Day.
Exhibition Audio Guide
We rely on your generous support to care for and display this wonderful collection