Standen House

Standen House and Garden, East Grinstead

Standen House and Garden

W Hoathly Road
East Grinstead
RH19 4NE

Google Maps

Usually open from: 11am – 4:30pm

Check before travelling

Visit Website

Designed by leading Arts and Crafts architect Philip Webb, Standen was completed in 1894 for the Beale family to retreat to the countryside and relax in their medieval-inspired Morris & Co interiors. Today, this National Trust property is the perfect setting for a De Morgan Collection display. The Fabulous St. George and the Dragon Cabinet, which has a rare decorative panel on it painted by William, and a selection of William De Morgan ceramics are on loan to Standen.

Our Lady of Peace

This painting is in response to the Boer war. In Our Lady of Peace we see a Christian knight, who is about to depart for battle, kneel in a church, and pray to the Blessed Virgin Mary (Our Lady of Peace). De Morgan’s use of traditional Christian iconography and chivalric imagery is however, subver...

Donate

We rely on your generous support to care for and display this wonderful collection