Artist: Maw and Co
Object Number: C_1967_0007
Date: 1800 - 1900
Category: Ceramic, Charger, Lustre-glazed earthenware, and Jackfield
Material: Lustre-glazed earthenware
Dimensions: Diameter 560mm
Inscriptions: Pottery Mark: Reverse Camel couchant crest
Description:

Ruby Lustre Charger with a bear in a floral border on a Maw and Co. marked plate. A label on the back states that it is designed by William De Morgan and “given to the de Morgan Collection, old Battersea House, by the late Mrs Walter Pease, of Moulton Hall, Richmond, Yorkshire, and handed over to the Stirling Trustees by the National Trust.

Maw & Co. was heavily influenced by the ceramics of William De Morgan. This was particularly so in the field of lusterware, as as this and three other items from the De Morgan Collection demonstrate. However, a label on the back states that it is designed by William De Morgan and “given to the de Morgan Collection, old Battersea House, by the late Mrs Walter Pease, of Moulton Hall, Richmond, Yorkshire, and handed over to the Stirling Trustees by the National Trust.

The exact production details of this charger are unclear. Whilst it was certainly manufactured by Maw & Co., it has no decorators marks and it is possible that the blank plate was decorated in De Morgan’s workshop. It remains to be seen whether this charger was indeed decorated at the De Morgan site or by an artist working at Jackfield, after a design. Both scenarios are possible. it is however, more probable, that Mrs Stirling in her later years became confused as to De Morgan’s connection to a stylistically similar work.